“Tebasaki no karaage” 手羽先の唐揚げ
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 knob ginger
- 1 Tbsp sake
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp potato starch
- oil for deep frying (canola oil etc)
- Make a small cut on the non-skinned side of the chicken wings with the tip of a knife. (To make the taste easy to soak.)
- Grate the ginger and garlic with a grater.
- In a large plastic bag for cooking, mix ginger, garlic, 1 Tbsp sake, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Add chicken wings to the bag and mix.
- Keep at room temperature to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add 5 Tbsp potato starch to the bag and mix.
- Heat deep frying oil to 350 F(175 C) on medium heat.
- Remove excess starch and deep fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time until golden brown all over about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place on a rack for the excess oil to drain. Serve warm.
Using “potato starch” makes it more crispy than corn starch.